Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Art: Part 3 (Day 30)

Viewing art:

How I feel sometimes [Note the eyes]

Fish (I think?) In the Ethnologisches Museum

As I alluded to a few posts ago, I've been having some trouble with viewing art (particularly that of the modern persuasion) in museums. I wanted to share some of your troubles in the hopes of getting your feedback on them.

First, I've grown unsure of the manner in which I ought to observe it. Am I meant to be a passive watcher who simply notes, ah yes indeed this does indeed depict Fredrick the Great leading his armies against so and such, how very interesting indeed! Or am I supposed to look deeper within a work to find some sort of secondary (or even tertiary meaning). This has been one of the deeper conflicts I've had with my art education as a whole. That is to say, ought I, as my instructors do, constantly search for a deeper meaning within a piece? Or can, as Freud so famously said in response to one of his students asking about the symbolism of the long pipe he was smoking, "a pipe be just a pipe"?

The constant attempt to find some sort of meaning within an artistic work can be a tiring process, or sometimes a frivolous one at best. There are of course obvious cases for which a political interpretation is necessary, Goya's Third of May comes to mind, but there are also other instances (like a still-life) for which it would be equally hard for the casual observer to make a decent argument about the deeper meaning of an artist's beliefs.


Kind of hard to ignore the political message here....

The academic response of course is that we allow the researcher the ability to be able to well reasoned interpretations of a particular work. Still this brings up its own host of problems. First, which material is considered acceptable to base an argument upon, for instance, ought a contemporary event matter much if we can't guarantee the artist cared about it? Ought we consider the biography of the artist at all when viewing the work?

Similarly to history's eternal debate between Thomas Carlyle's belief that "The history of the world is but the biography of great men," and the combined forces of Herbert Spencer and just about everyone else, all of whom come out on the side of historical context and social pressures shaping events, art history is constantly engaging in a debate about how much to use social and biographical context to better understand a work of art. Obviously if context matters than the biography of the artist becomes integral to any deeper reading of the work. Still its not very clear that it ought to matter, as a fair number of people feel that as soon as a work is created we are free to interpret it as we choose (presumably independent of context). However even this kind of seductive psuedo-relativism is, it poses a a problem because it begs the question asked by every high school english student, if the work is what it means to me, why bother with all this interpretation? Why is interpretation meaningful? Why don't I just say that every dead pigeon I see in a 17th century Dutch still-life is a metaphor for Christ and be done with all of this?

The fact of the matter is that this relativism is dissatisfying (at least for me) much in the same way that merely accepting another persons interpretation of a work is, when reduced fully to its logical extreme it fails to produce a (personally) satisfying result.

To take this back to more mundane level, I find myself always asking whether I ought to read the little placards that accompany paintings or not because I know full well that they will affect my understanding of the work in front of me. Moreover, they provide one with the incredible ability to be able to categorize particular works of art (I.e. that painting was some stereotypical French post-impressionist mumbo-jumbo) without giving any sense of the work itself. Guys, remember, labels like that are arbitrary, if art is supposed to have any capacity to move the viewer it won't be able to do so by being called "mannerist" it will do so by showing you the emotional state of a particular individual, by documenting a particular event, or in short by evoking some sort of intellectual/emotiv response from the viewer. The important thing is the painting not the placard.

So far the way of thinking about art that has resonated most with me was one we discussed recently in a class I took last semester. That is that art is a process with the capacity to move and actively change the individual. That if one takes a step back from a truly inspiring work of art and allows that piece to become itself (to in the words of philosophers wiser than myself "allow the thing to thing itself" or to come into its own) without forcing it into a system of categorization or of one's personal understanding of the world, one allows himself to be changed by art. The piece views can then crash through his understanding of the world (in a way that may be as scary as it can be profound) and fundamentally alter the individual. Or to put it in more philosophical terms, art can allow earth (the real world) to crash through world (our conception of reality and the way we order our lives) in a way unimaginable moments before. Not every piece will do this, but the possibilty exists for all of them. That so far is what I look for at art Museums, the opportunity for art to change me.

As a result, it was all the more shocking to find myself confronted with a diagram of this theory when I walked into an exhibit on Paul Klee at the Neue National Galerie. Still regardless of this, I'd love to hear about how you, Dear Reader, think about art yourself. Send me an e-mail, comment or the like if the spirit moves you, but please let me know if you have thoughts on the matter regardless of when you stumble across this post.


One Example of Moving Art For Me

Peace [Burial at Sea] / J.M.W. Turner

2 comments:

  1. I have heard much about your blog but think I forgot to add it to reader when you sent an e-mail. But alas, I added it just now. This is my first post, so excuse me if you've already answered this previously:
    Have you found any art that has crashed into your existence?

    Unfortunately, the "plastic" arts have never really had much "crashing" for me. Usually they are little more than aesthetically pleasing (or intellectually, insofar as they can be analyzed for period, style, etc.). Occasionally, music reaches me on a more emotional level, but again, there is no real crashing. I think the most crashing I have had has been from fiction (imagine that? I should read more), but I suspect literature is not what Heidegger is talking about? Seems like he is speaking about something that is noncommunicable. I didn't know he had such an impact upon your approach to art, unless I'm reading too much into things.

    I must say, your post reads as much like an essay as a blog, but that's fine with me.

    -Roy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your posts put mine to shame, in terms of content and intellectual stimulation. Anyways, it's sort of funny, because I was trying to write a facebook note about 25 Random Things About Me, because someone I knew did that and tagged me, and I had a section about art and what I thought about it, but then I backspaced and lost everything and the thought of my wasted 2 hours writing it disgusted me and I couldn't rewrite it. So all was lost.

    Due to this post, though, I'll reconstruct that one and flesh it out a bit more. Basically, in reference to another section where I said that I'm one of those people that gets bored with the product but likes the making of it (when a kid, I'd build things out of Legos and make houses on Sims, but I barely played with what I built afterwards), I didn't used to get much out of looking at art for a really long time, aside from pure aesthetics--'oh, that's pretty' and 'ew, that's ugly'.

    After taking art classes, I find a greater appreciation for art, and I enjoy museum-venturing much more, but still, looking at art paled much in comparison for me than actually doing art, living the process. In fact, I always feel a little guilty on the inside for NOT appreciating art as much as some people I know do, especially when I feel on some levels I ought to.

    On that note, my enjoyment from art comes more from examining the texture and delighting in how the brush strokes or whatever medium used was capable of developing such a cohesive (though in some cases, I suppose not so cohesive) whole. Messages vaguely interest me, while stories told through the narrative expression of the piece of work impacts me a lot.

    I'm not sure what exactly I get out of art, as I never examined myself as in detail as you have yourself, and my training in art history/analysis is nearly non-existent, so the best I can describe it is the 'oomph' factor. I go look art because when I find a particularly moving piece, I get the odd sensations running up and down my arms and a little fluttering in my heart when I realize that 'this piece has managed to affect me in some manner' though more often than not, I can't put words to why. I only feel the 'oomph' of the power of the piece pouring off in waves as I look at it. A combination of awe at the skill of the artist, the artful placement of an object in the work of art, the effectiveness of the story/composition, the emotional appeal? Perhaps this is the same thing as what you mention in your last section, about the ability of art to move and change me as its own entity, without the effect of mine or someone else's interpretation.

    And, in response to Roy's post, in terms of consistent enjoyment, I get more out of literature, plays, and films, and I think mainly because while it's a different process than the making of it, these mediums lead you through a process as you read or view it.

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter